Matched Advising Program for Sophomores (MAPS) Mentor application
WHAT IS MAPS?
- A year-long (fall & spring) one-on-one peer mentoring program specifically for sophomores, with content related to making decisions you want or need to make in the sophomore year.
- Sophomore students are paired with junior/senior students who are concentrating within a division they may be concentrating in: Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Life Sciences, or Physical Sciences; pairs receive Dining Dollars for coffee/tea, and a prompt to help facilitate conversation.
- Optional group meetings facilitated by the CRC and MAPS mentors about: How to choose a concentration; how to navigate career exploration; how to find opportunities for self-directed research; and to manage day-to-day health and wellness.
- Online resources for mentees, including mentor reflections and worksheets from the group sessions.
Once assigned, mentors are expected to meet with their mentees at least once a semester to maintain a consistent advising presence. The CRC will provide a training session and expect mentors to at least have viewed its slide deck if they cannot attend the in-person training. We hope mentors will be interested in serving on one of the panels, and sharing their bio for the MAPS program internal website.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Juniors and seniors who value mentoring.
- Mentors who have some, but know they don’t have all the answers.
- Juniors and seniors who are comfortable sharing their own ups and downs.